Setting up a hybrid infrastructure with vCloud Connector (vCC)
vCloud Connector combined with a vCloud API User provides you the ability to connect your On-Premise vSphere infrastructure with your public Cloud environment.
The following tasks are working with your On-Premise infrastructure and DCS:
|Upload VM powered off||On-Premise||DCS||Needs temp twice the storage of the VM being copied in OvDC|
|Download Template||DCS||On-Premise||Becomes a VM in vCenter|
|Download VM powered off||DCS||On-Premise||Needs temp twice the storage of the VM being copied in OvDC|
|Deploy from Template local||On-Premise||On-Premise||---|
|Deploy from Template DCS||DCS||DCS||---|
|Start/Stop/suspend VM local||On-Premise||On-Premise||---|
|Start/Stop/suspend VM remote||On-Premise||DCS||---|
|Open VM console from vCenter VCC local||On-Premise||On-Premise||---|
|Layer 2 Bridging||On-Premise||DCS||Advanced VCC Server needed|
- If you Upload or download a VM, check if the Hardware Version of this VM is compatible with the new environment: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2007240
- The advanced features of vCloud Connector like content sync and stretch deploy need an additional license from VMware and are not tested with DCS.
- For up- and download temp. twice the storage, of the VM being migrated, is needed. This is because a Template is created and copied in the background.
- Templates cannot be deployed directly in DCS from remote, but you can choose the option to directly start deployment after upload
- By default only Templates up to 40GB can be copied. For bigger templates both vCloud Connector Nodes have to be expanded first (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2037241)
- Content Sync and Layer 2 Bridging need Advanced vCloud Connector Server which is not tested with DCS.
vCloud Connector consists of three distinct components: the vCloud Connector user interface, the vCloud Connector server, and vCloud Connector nodes.
Install the vCloud Connector Server in your on premise environment (http://www.vamware.com/products/vcloud-connector).
Install the vCloud Connector Node in your on premise environment.
Create a vCloud Director API user (see Section 2.9 vCloud Director API).
Install the vCloud Connector Node in your DCS environment (available in the public Catalog).
Ensure that all vCloud Connector Node have an internet connection.
|VCloud Connector Server||vCloud Connector Node||Communication||443|
|VCloud Connector Node||vCloud Connector Node||Communication, Upload||443, 8190|
|Admin Console (Client)||vCloud Connector Appliances||Admin Web Console||5480|
Port 5480 is only required, if no Jumphost is available in DCS to manage the vCC Node through the Web Interface.